Copyright Notice

This website and its content are copyright of Denis Roussel - © Denis Roussel. All rights reserved

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Collodion du jour - 95

Windy Point, Gross Reservoir, CO.

As winter is fast approaching, I imagine the opportunities to go out and take collodion landscape photographs will greatly decrease. However this week I was able to take my mobile collodion darkroom on the road and explore the area around Gross Reservoir. It is a beautiful lake on which I take me daughters canoeing and fishing in the summer, but of which I only know a small portion. My goal for the day was to find a nice vantage point and make a panoramic composite of several images. I stopped at Windy point and started setting up my tripod and camera and organizing my darkroom.
By the time I was ready to expose the first plate, the wind had picked up tremendously. I then realized I should have considered the name of the spot (very appropriately chosen) as a warning that it might not be a fitting place to take my photographs. The wind was so violent that it continuously shook the camera during the 50 seconds exposure, resulting in a overall blurry image. I just had spent half an hour getting all set-up in a spot where it was impossible for me to get the images I had been looking for... I would be unable that day to find a place which would give me a view of the lake and where the camera was shielded enough for from the wind to get a crisp image. Oh well, patience and perseverance appear to be key components of collodion photography.
I do have to say that in insight I enjoy the aesthetic of this particular photograph. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment